Everyone knows what an IP address is, right? If not, let us be clear and explain that – IP address (Internet Protocol Address) is like your house and street number on the map. By knowing your IP address, someone can track, stalk or intercept your internet connection. Sounds really scary, doesn’t it? What to do in order not to become a victim of cybercriminals? That is actually super easy.
The best and most simple way of hiding your IP is by using a proxy or VPN service. Proxy is good for a short period of time or when doing very simple activities such as avoiding geo-restrictions on your beloved sites. However it is super important to know that a proxy service does not(!) encrypt your internet connection, so you can still be very easily traced.
We personally recommend using a VPN service which is totally accessible for every internet user – beginner or advanced. You will not only be able to hide your footprints while browsing the internet, but you’ll also minimize the chances of being hacked or tracked. Here’s the list of reasons why you would want to change your IP address:
– Avoiding geo-restrictions
– Hiding your identity and browsing history
– Streaming (when using a VPN you can access such services as Netflix US, BBC iPlayer, DAZN) without even being in the country
– Targeted ads blocking (in other words, you’ll have a clean browsing history and will not see any annoying ads)
You should also be aware that ISP’s (Internet Service Providers) do collect and sell your data to various companies. Why would you want someone to do that?
Here’s a quick guide on how to change your IP and become anonymous on the internet:
1. Take a look at our recommended VPN list. We do recommend NordVPN as #1 service, but you can easily choose between our TOP3 rated providers as they were all tested and confirmed as reliable.
2. Download and install a VPN on your computer/smartphone.
3. Connect to a desired server and boom – you’re already protected.
As mentioned, you can also use Proxy services to change your IP, but here are the reasons why you should use a VPN over proxy service:
– Proxies are often super slow;
– Proxies do not encrypt your browsing data;
– Proxies are not supported by any of security protocols;
In our opinion, some of the proxies, especially the free ones, are super dangerous as usually, they collect data while pretending to do a nice service for you. Instead of proxies, we recommend using a VPN to change your IP.
How does VPN work?
A VPN (Virtual Private Network) is an app that creates an encrypted connection between your device and the servers you are browsing. In other words, VPN works like a tunnel which allows you to encrypt and secure the data which is moving between you and internet websites (including streaming sites or torrent clients). All the moving information is encrypted, so you can easily browse even less secure networks such as public Wi-Fi’s.
Here’s a nice visual that explains the main principles of how a VPN works: